In 1898, Ford purchased 173 acres (0.70 km) along the Maumee River to build the Edward Ford Plate Glass Company.
As workers came to the factory, Ford named the resulting town "Rossford" by combining the last name of his second wife, Caroline Ross, with his.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,406 people, 2,610 households, and 1,743 families residing in the city.
The population density was 1,489.7 people per square mile (575.2/km²).
There were 2,610 households out of which 32.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.4% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.2% were non-families.
Rossford Public Library and WPAY serve the community.
Rossford was founded by Edward Ford of the Libbey-Owens-Ford Glass Company.
There were 2,736 housing units at an average density of 636.2 per square mile (245.7/km²).
The racial makeup of the city was 96.27% White, 1.28% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.81% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.48% from other races, and 0.94% from two or more races.